Friday, February 6, 2009

Progress and Loss

I have gotten better at tennis. I've used my recent membership to the Rock Hill tennis center to hit on the ball machine four or five times since mid January. My backhand was horrible and since hitting on the ball machine its moved to bad. Doesn't sound like progress, but it is.

However, as much progress as I feel I have made, I still lost last weekend to my neighbor. The very first time we played I won. Since then, he's beaten me everytime (probably 7 or 8 times in a row). Its the same pattern each time. I win the first set and he wins the next two. I thought for sure I would beat him last weekend since I have been hitting on the ball machine.

Practically and spiritually all this is to say that even though we may feel like we are losing a battle, it doesn't mean we aren't making progress towards ultimate victory in the war. If you are progressing in you relationship with God, don't worry so much about mistakes you may be making in your life. You see, if we focus on intimacy with Christ, much of the change that needs to happen in our lives will come from within. That's because when we submit our will to God's will the Holy Spirit works within each of us to transform us into the image of Christ (see Romans 8:28-29). Because as scripture says "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you."

May you live a life exemplary of the Spirit's work from the inside out. And if you would like to learn more about the Holy Spirit, join us here for our current series called "Without Limit: Messages on the Holy Spirit."

No comments: