Thursday, March 10, 2011

Unexpected

I led my first Ash Wednesday service yesterday evening.  To be honest, I did not look forward to doing it.

I'm not sure why. 

It could've been the fear of the unknown.  I had never done the imposition of the ashes.  

It could've been the more liturgical nature of the service.  I probably go too far on the side of "non liturgical" than I do "too liturgical."

It could've been the theological implications of self-examination and confession.  Who likes to do that?  It's absolutely necessary, but often scary and painful.

Whatever reason for not wanting to do it, it ended being a very powerful experience for me and I think for those who attended.

I am so thankful that God is a master at turning something we often don't want to do into an experience that draws us closer to Him.

No comments: