Thursday, August 23, 2012

Leadership Quote

I was listening briefly to an interview on the radio recently.  The host was interviewing author Lysa Terkeurst.  She wrote Made to Crave and she was a guest on the program to promote her most recent book Unglued.

I haven't read either of the books and had not heard of the author until listening to the interview.  I will say that Unglued looks like it could be a really good read...the sub title "Making Wise choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions" is right up my alley!



In the few minutes I listened to the interview the author had an incredible leadership quote, she said:

"Don't let criticism go to your heart and don't let compliments go to your head."

I thought it was excellent...no brilliant advice for leaders. 

It is so easy to let citicism affect our heart to the point of disrupting our personal relationships.  That's when we internalize it, that's when we have let it go to our heart.

It is also easy to let compliments effect how we lead.  Maybe we think we can do it on our own.  Or maybe we become complacent.  If we receive enough compliments we may even be tempted to think God is done accomplishing things through us.

I know this advice is easier said than done, but it's worth pursuing.

No comments: