Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Words I don't like

Obedience: When I think of obedience, I think of a dog going to obedience school. I don't know why, but I really wrestle with the word "obedience." I just get an image of a dog lowering his head under his master who is disciplining him to force obedience. Even though I know theologically God is not like a dog trainer, this is the image that comes to mind.

Niceness: Niceness is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I'm a nice guy and I appreciate nice people, but I would rather be described as holy, warm, compassionate or caring rather than nice anyday. Part of this idea comes from a scene from C.S. Lewis's The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. It goes something like this: Lucy asks if Aslan is nice. The answer is that Aslan is not a tame lion, but he's good. Again, I would rather be good, than nice, anyday. I don't think Jesus was always nice, but he was always good.

Moderation: Jesus didn't teach moderation. He didn't. He taught wisdom. He taught and lived what it meant to have a close relationship with God. He taught love without limit. Not only did he teach love without limit, he demonstrated it by willingly going to death for the sake of the rest of the human race.

Your thoughts...

No comments: