Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Responsibility

I've always liked Proverbs 16:9: "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord directs his steps."  I like it because it communicates a balance between human responsibility and initiative and divine guidance.  So many people think God is in control.  If control means what it means literally, then I disagree.  If God were literally "in control" then we would just be like robots controlled by a master programmer.  We would be puppets controlled by the puppet master.  Freewill proves that God is not in control (a better way to say it is that "God is in charge" or to super-spiritualize it, that "God is sovereign").

God does not force us to do anything (obviously, except to be alive and die) which means we have a lot of freedom to make decisions.  So we can plan our course...if I want to be a doctor, I plan my course accordingly.  If I want to become a black belt in karate...I plan my course accordingly.  I felt called to be a pastor...so I planned my course by attending seminary and pursuing ordination in the United Methodist church.  That's our part, planning and pursuing.  God's part is in directing the pursuit.

Its only by God directing my steps that I was able to get through seminary.  It's only by God directing my steps that my decisions have worked out.  There have been decisions that haven't worked out, I believe that's God directing my steps as well.

So, what passions are in you that just need to be planned and pursued?  Most likely, those passions are from God.  Which means if you plan and pursue them, God will direct your steps.  So what are you waiting for?  Go for it knowing that God is with you.

1 comment:

draysult said...

Thanks, Rich. I have many wants but I don't do a very good job of planning to make those wants come true. I do believe that God places those desire within us and then WE need to do the planning. Then, as you say, God will direct it.