Monday, June 9, 2008

Annual Conference

For those that don't know, every year, United Methodists of a particular area (conference) gather together for a few days to do things like vote on policy, nominate delegates, worship together and ordain pastors. This past weekend was the second annual conference I have attended. This year was special because I was commissioned as a probationary elder. Yes, I'm on probation. Sounds bad, but its actually a good thing.

The bishop hovered over me with his arms raised (as he did with each of us) and prayed that the Holy Spirit would guide and direct me in ministry. I usually don't like formal stuff, but I must say that it was a special moment. So, I am now officially on probation. I don't feel any different and I didn't get a raise or anything like that, but it was the next step for me in my career as a professional religious person.

2 comments:

Brenda Emmons said...

Rich,

Your experience reminds me of when Christ "formally and officially" endowed His disciples with the Holy Spirit.

"'Peace be with you! As the Father as sent me, I am sending you.' And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'" John 20:21-22.

"All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you." John 16:15.

Congratulations! You stand with great company!

Brenda

Talbot Davis said...

Rich,
So it meant something! Glad to see you were open to what a truly significant milestone it was.

Talbot