Sunday, August 3, 2008

August Thickness

The air in the Carolina's seems thicker in August than at any other time. The humidity and heat make it feel like you're walking into a heaviness that clings to your body as soon as you step outside. Then, the heaviness penetrates your skin and makes you sweat. I often wonder why I even shower some mornings. If you've never lived in the heat and humidity of the Southeastern part of the United States, just know that it is often an overwhelming experience.

I'm one of these people that have lyrics to songs pop into my head quite often. Conversation just catalyzes (is "catalyzes" a real word?) this phenomena. I think there are a lot of people that experience this, they just don't talk about it much. Its not forced at all, it just sort of happens. As I was talking to someone this morning about how thick the air is outside, I was reminded of some lyrics to this song by Flyleaf called "All Around Me":
"I can feel you all around me
Thickening the air I'm breathing
Holding on to what I'm feeling
Savoring this heart thats healing."

I love it when something in music reminds me of something in nature that reminds me of our relationship with God (I'm sure there are countless reminders in music and nature). As uncomfortable as the thickness of the Carolina air can be, it can also serve as a reminder of how God wraps himself around us and penetrates our skin. Sometimes we need a God who reminds us of His presence, even if it its an uncomfortable and overwhelming experience. I believe God speaks to us and teaches us about Himself through the beauty, spontaneity, restlessness, overwhelmingness, uncomfortableness, power and mystery of nature.

So...may you you be reminded of God's wrapping and penetrating presence the next time the thick Carolina air wraps itself around you.

No comments: