Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ouch

I was reading Philippians the other night and something really jumped out at me. Halfway through the second chapter Paul says "Do everything without complaining or arguing." Ouch. Suddenly I remembered all the times over the past week and month that I had argued or complained or done both at the same time. And I thought to myself "why?" What good does complaining do? What good comes from arguing, especially when its over something trivial. So I decided to try not to argue or complain, Ouch again. I haven't been very good at it.

It is hard not to argue or complain. At least it is for me. Following Paul's advice and wanting to follow Paul's advice are two very different things. I want to follow Paul's advice and I'm going to try, because I think its good advice. Especially when you consider the reasoning: "so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation."

The world has enough arguing and complaining, it doesn't need me to chime in. Lord help me be the blameless and pure kind of Christian that you are calling me to be by helping me resist the temptations to complain and argue.

No comments: