Monday, October 18, 2010

Torn

When I'm with other Christians who tend to be more fundamental in their theology, I find myself feeling more liberal. 

Then when I'm among Christians who are more liberal in their theology, I find myself feeling more fundamental. 

Is it because I want to rebel against whatever the situational theological norm is in the context in which I find myself at that moment?

Is it because I can see value in both theological perspectives?

Is it because I'm uncertain of my own theological beliefs?

Is it because I'm not bold enough to take a position and claim it for myself?
Is it because I'm a conflict avoider and just want everyone to get along?

Is it because I'm actually open minded?

It's probably a little of all of the above.

I feel torn because I believe most Christians genuinely have good motives. 

I guess I don't have to choose sides, I can simply follow the leading of the Spirit.

Two verses come to mind that seem to work complimentary when such a situation arises:
Mark 12:31 "Love your neighbor as yourself..."
1 Peter 3:15 "...Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with genteness and respect..."

May you love people you disagree with enough to have a prepared answer for the hope you have in Christ and may you offer that answer out of gentleness and respect.

No comments: