Thursday, January 6, 2011

Current Read

I'm reading the book Bonhoeffer which is written by Eric Metaxas.  It is a biography of the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a name every Christian should know. 

He was a pastor and theologian during the rise of Hitler in Germany.  His story stirs something within me.  If you like biography's, you will love this book.  Eric Metaxas is an excellent writer.  He's clear and concise and yet offers enough detail to keep you interested in the intricacies of Bonehoeffer's life.


Like most brilliant people, Bonhoeffer had some brilliant quotes.  Here are three of my favorites:

1. A God who let us prove his existence would be an idol.


2. "Being free means "being free for the other," because the other has bound me to him. Only in relationship with the other am I free."


3. Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.

No comments: