Wednesday, October 26, 2011

In the Dust of the Rabbi

We have been doing the Ray Vanderlaan Faith Lessons Bible study called In the Dust of the Rabbi on Wednesday nights at Catawba UMC and I have really enjoyed the series. 

The idea up to this piont is that discipleship is all about being like the rabbi.  It's not enough to know about the rabbi or to learn the rabbi's teachings or to be with the rabbi.  The whole purpose of discipleship is to be like the rabbi.

Jesus is a different kind of rabbi in that he chose fisherman and tax collectors and doubters and betrayers to be his disciples.  He chose people that didn't have what it took to be the disciple of any other rabbi.  Jesus chose his disciples and said in essence "I believe and trust in you enough to be the kind of disciples that make other disciples who are like me."

It's nice to know that Jesus believes in me even when I don't.

No comments: