Sunday, February 12, 2012

MTD

I recently heard Kenda Creasy Dean speak at a conference.  She's the author of the book



In the book she talks about a version of faith that our teenagers have adopted.  She calls it Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.  Here's the breakdown of this kind of faith:
Moralistic: God wants us to be good, to be nice.  Good people go to heaven when they die.
Therapeutic: The central goal of life is to be happy and feel good about oneself.  God’s wants me to be happy.
Deism: A god exists who created and orders the world and watches over things.  God is not involved in my life except when I need God to resolve a problem.


Compare that to Orthodox Christian Faith and it's pretty empty.  Compare that to the what the Apostle's Creed proclaims and there's some major differences.  Here's some of my personal observations:


MTD                                              Gospel
No Jesus                                       Jesus is the only way
No Holy Spirit                                Holy Spirit is absolutely essential
Impersonal God                             Personal God
No Suffering                                   Suffering has purpose
Personal Happines is the Goal     Obedience/Faithfulness/Holiness is the Goal
It's about me                                  It's about being Others-Centered
Good people go to heaven             Forgiven people go to heaven


(If you are interested, I preached about MTD in the second half of the sermon this morning.  You can listen or download it from the bottom of this blog.)

What's sad is that teenagers are getting this faith (MTD) from the church and from their parents.  I have a funny suspicion that teenagers aren't the only one's subscribing to the MTD version of faith. 

No more MTD for me.  I'm killing it and I hope you do to!

No comments: