Before my last sermon as the pastor of Catawba UMC I showed this clip to lighten the mood. I think it helped. I will never forget my time as the pastor of this amazing group of people. A few memories:
- My first Sunday I shook hands with James Lowrance and said "Hi, I'm Rich" he said "I'm poor." Turns out he thought I was a member of the youth group.
- Mikayla and Bayley's first time hearing an organ...they were so surprised by the sound.
- Holding the hands of Mikayla and Bayley as they danced to some of the faster songs...Mikayla stopped doing this within the first year...I think it took Bayley about two years.
- Forgetting the water for Hayden's Baptism...thank you to the Brackett's for laughing with me about it instead of being mad!
- The Santa Clause situation (I know it wasn't a fun time in the life of the church, but it was an important time that I will always remember). I know I could've handled it with a lot more maturity and often wish I could go back and do it over. I would still make the same decision but I would have handled it with wisdom and carefulness.
- The CCC trips. These mission trips were tremendous times of growth in my own faith and I'm thankful for the church supporting such an amazing ministry.
- The hiking, sunshine club, youth and superstars trips. Such great times of fun and fellowship.
- Ronnie taking me skeet shooting and target shooting. I think I used about 10 different guns. So fun and I want to do it again!
- The phone calls to Phillip about something wrong with the parsonage or one of our cars and his willingness to always help.
- The overall grace, generosity and love that me and my family received by the people of this church...thank you doesn't quite do our gratitude justice.
Since I hate goodbyes...I will just say "until next time."