Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Halloween Shaft

When I was a kid, I always wondered why Halloween wasn't considered a holiday (to be honest, I still wonder that sometimes). Forget the lack of a legitimate historical event to perpetuate the day. Lets face it, people get dressed up, put out decorations, have parties and give and get candy on Halloween, these sound like perfectly legitimate reasons for it to be considered a holiday. On an official calendar level, Halloween gets shafted. However, on a practical level it is treasured (just look at all the pictures your friends post on Facebook after Halloween).

While growing up I was always more excited about Halloween than I was Thanksgiving. On Halloween you get to dress up, stay up late and watch scary movies, all while getting and eating too much candy. Honestly, it was the candy that set Halloween as a more revered time than Thanksgiving.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving...in fact, I try to practice it everyday. On the other hand, practicing Halloween everyday might be a little too much (except for the eating candy part). Actually, if you think about it, we do practice Halloween everyday...the pretentiousness, facades and lies we display are just a different kind of mask.

Some people think Halloween is evil. I can see that side of the argument. For me though, the everyday practice of it will always be more poisonous than October 31st.

2 comments:

draysult said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
draysult said...

I agree we celebrate this "Holiday" too often. Now I need to remember daily to remove my mask and be the man that He created me to be.