Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I don't have to be here...

I recently attended a required event for continuing in ordination as a United Methodist Pastor. They brought in presenters to talk about various aspects of being a pastor. The pastor that presented on preaching said at the beginning: "I know you are required to be here, I know you have to be here, but I don't, I am not required to be here, I'm here because I want to be here. And I want to be here because I believe preaching is the single most important thing a pastor does. I'm here to help you be better at it."

She had my attention. I loved how she acknowledged our predicament and at the same the same time communicated her own passion for what she was about to teach us. I don't like anything "required" of me. It just seems forced and I naturally rebel against it. But anytime someone can acknowledge where you are and let you know with sincerity that they aren't going to waste your time, it gets your attention.

1 comment:

draysult said...

Amen! I am a rebel too. The more I am told I "can't" do something or that I "have to" do something, the more I rebel. Offered opportunities and suggestions not to do something are much more effective to me. Thanks for being honest!