Thursday, April 29, 2010

Frustration

Frustration is a part of life for all of us.  Its not a matter of if we get frustrated, but what we do when we get frustrated.  I often have an internal battle with myself as to whether or not the frustration I feel is legitimate and necessary, or if its unreasonable and ridiculous.  Also, I often wonder if the frustration I feel is a result of some fault of my own, or a fault of someone else.

Obviously, this is not a "how to" post.  Because I'm not sure what to do with both the questions.  Simply put, the questions I struggle with are:  1)is the frustration valid? and 2)what's the source of the frustration?

I think what I do with the frustration is determined by the answer to those two questions.  I hate cliche's, so to simply say all you have to do is hand it over to God is not helpful.  I'm not even sure what that means (I've said that to people in counseling...its easy to say but what does it mean?)

Anyway, here's my off-the-cuff prayer for when I'm frustrated: "Lord, if I'm the source of the frustration forgive me and help me change.  If someone else is the source of my frustration, give me mercy and understanding toward that person.  If the frustration is valid, help me use it to change myself or speak truth in love to the person whose the cause of it.  Jesus, frustration sucks and you know it, so give me a spirit of peace and remind me to turn to you for the rest I need when I'm frustrated.  Amen."

No comments: